Wills & Inheritance Tax Planning
A properly drafted will is important for a number of reasons; it can make sure your assets are transferred to the recipients you intend, it appoints executors to manage your affairs and guardians to look after minors and it can also help to reduce inheritance tax. We advise individuals and families with complicated estates and extensive assets, as well as clients with more routine concerns. Your circumstances may be suitable for a simple will, alternatively, your affairs may require more detailed arrangements involving trusts to protect your assets against tax, divorce and other claims.
Our advice frequently needs to take into account the broader and more complex circumstances of a family, including 'second families', family business assets and inherited wealth. When preparing your will, we will also provide advice regarding the exemptions, reliefs and planning opportunities available to enhance and protect your estate.
Changes in legislation can affect your will arrangements and the potential tax liability of your estate. For that reason, we recommend that your will is reviewed regularly, at least once every three years, especially when your personal circumstances have changed.
We will identify your needs at the meeting, answer any questions you may have and follow the meeting with a written summary of our advice. This is usually on the basis of a fixed fee agreed with you at the outset.
As well as writing wills, we can advise upon:
- the effective succession to family assets, including property, agricultural and business interests whether in the UK or overseas;
- property ownership and co-ownership arrangements;
- the mitigation of inheritance tax, capital gains tax and other UK taxes;
- post-death tax planning;
- the creation and use of trusts and other structures to effectively manage and protect family wealth;
- providing for circumstances when you are not able to deal with your affairs yourself;
- making effective provision for long term care; and
- the creation of effective structures for philanthropic purposes.
For more information on Wills & Inheritance Tax Planning please call us on 0345 111 5050 to speak to one of our expert lawyers.