How would you react to a competitor using the same or similar
name or logo to you? Would you risk losing customers to your
competitors? And how would you stop your competitors trading off
your established brand and reputation?
Registering your name or logo as a trade mark gives you certain exclusive rights to use your mark.
Registration may be easier than you think and can provide many benefits:
- Exploit your brand more fully - a registered trade mark is your property, which means you can sell it, or license it to others. This can be a valuable asset and even generate an income stream for your business.
- Deter potential infringers - registration may put people off using your trade mark without your permission. It can help to show that you take IP and potential abuse seriously.
- Make enforcement easier - ownership of a registered trade mark allows you to take legal action against anyone who uses your trade mark without your permission.
- Create criminal liability - having a registered trade mark allows Trading Standards Officers or Police to bring criminal charges against counterfeiters if they use your trade mark on their goods.
- Protect your domain name - having a registered trade mark may help protect your domain name and website against potential infringers.
Our experienced IP team advises on all aspects of trade mark registration and management. We will guide you through the registration process by assessing the suitability of your mark for registration and drafting the application. Following registration we can also assist in preparing licences or assignments of your marks and in enforcing your rights against infringers.