Higgs & Sons ("we") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Higgs & Sons of 3 Waterfront Business Park, Brierley Hill, West Midlands DY5 1LX.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on or contacting us through www.higgsandsons.co.uk (our site). This includes information provided when you submit an enquiry or request a quote, when you subscribe for email notifications or newsletters, when you book a seminar with us, when you submit your CV or an application for a job with us, when you respond to a survey or questionnaire or when you request other services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration to analyse trends, track user movements and gather broad demographic information. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We may use both "session" cookies and "persistent" cookies on the website. We will use the session cookies to keep track of you whilst you navigate the website. We will use the persistent cookies to enable our website to recognise you when you visit.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser.
Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy", and selecting "Block all cookies" using the sliding selector. This will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one.
Where we store your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to provide you with the information or services that you request
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
- to notify you about changes to our service.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about seminars and services which may be of interest to you and we may contact you about these by post, telephone or email.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way please contact our Data Protection Officer.
If you engage us to provide legal services to you, we may need to confirm your identity to comply with Money Laundering Regulations. We may use credit databases to do this. Further information is set out in our Terms of Business. You expressly consent to our use of any information given in an application for a job with us to assess your application.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our firm. We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in relation to the services we are providing such as professional advisers or expert witnesses
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- if Higgs & Sons or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its clients will be one of the transferred assets
- in relation to invitations to joint events, seminars and talks
Any third party to whom we disclose information about you will be under an obligation to keep your information secure and cannot use it for any purpose other than that for which it was disclosed.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you subject to some exceptions. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. If you would like to obtain this data please contact the Data Protection Officer in writing stating what data you require.