See our latest eventsEvents
It's the news that counts
- Case highlights the need for caution in family affairs, says law firm Article date: 31/10/2013Leading law firm Higgs & Sons says a recent case involving a disputed lifetime gift highlights the need to act with caution when dealing with the affairs of close and elderly relatives.
- Rough justice could face those without legal help, says law firm Article date: 30/10/2013A solicitor at leading law firm Higgs & Sons says a complex divorce case in which a judge admitted he had been able to dispense only ‘rough justice’ because neither party was legally represented highlights the importance of obtaining specialist advice.
- Business rates relief biting back for some charities warns solicitors Article date: 29/10/2013Over recent years Charities have been able to take advantage of empty commercial premises by utilising them (often rent free) and relieving the Landlord of empty property business rates.
- Don’t take costs for granted at tribunals, says law firm Article date: 28/10/2013Leading law firm Higgs & Sons says Lord Sugar’s legal wrangle with Apprentice TV show winner Stella English is a stark reminder that companies should not expect to be awarded costs by employment tribunals as a matter of course.
- Trio strengthen expanding private client team Article date: 28/10/2013One of the Midlands’ largest private client legal teams is expanding further with three senior appointments.
- Law firm reveals lukewarm response to new employee status Article date: 25/10/2013Higgs & Sons says a new form of employment status created by the Government has met with a lukewarm response from company bosses.
- New recruit Gary joins successful Higgs team Article date: 14/10/2013Leading law firm Higgs & Sons has appointed a new lawyer to join its successful employment team.
- Silver splitters on the increase says family lawyer Article date: 09/10/2013Leading family law specialist, Kelly Perks, has urged older people considering divorce to get expert advice as new figures show a rise in the number of couples splitting up as they head towards retirement.
- Higgs helps leading property specialist build portfolio Article date: 09/10/2013Law firm Higgs & Sons has advised CPBigwood on its acquisition of DMA Chartered Surveyors based in Eastleigh, Hampshire.
- Charities have much to risk without a robust risk strategy says lawyer Article date: 08/10/2013Comments made in last weekend’s papers that people giving money to help refugees from the civil war in Syria may be inadvertently supporting terrorism
- Model railway club becomes one of first Charitable Incorporated Associations Article date: 07/10/2013A model railway club run from the Midlands but with members across the world has become one of the first organisations to use the new Charitable Incorporated Association vehicle (CIO).
- What’s in a letter? Downton drama poses testamentary intent debate Article date: 01/10/2013Leading law firm Higgs & Sons today stressed the importance of avoiding DIY wills – to prevent the latest Downton Abbey drama becoming a real-life crisis.
- Managing your affairs is not always a family affair Article date: 01/10/2013Sadly, many people will be affected by mental incapacity at some point in their lives, whether through illness, old age or as the result of an accident.