Change text size:

Pinsent Masons 4-15 Higgs & Sons

This match report could be as short and simple as 'Higgs came, saw and conquered'. Rarely have Higgs dominated a match like this in the last year, even in the thrashings of Weightmans and Wragges. Pinsents finished second in the league last season and were better opposition than the aforementioned whipping boys.

Captain Cowles had another reason to smile with a couple of players making their debuts in the form of Sarah Bryan's brother Rich and his comrade Luke. These boys soon showed their class and helped Higgs dominate throughout. They also boosted the numbers, giving Higgs the luxury of two subs and allowing the players a breather. The only potential problem for Higgs in the future is if everybody turns up and there are 4 or 5 subs!

Anyway, the freshness of two substitutes helped Higgs wear down Pinsents and they went into half-time with a commanding lead. Tactics did not really need to be discussed and Cowles did not need to give a loquacious team talk: Higgs simply had to sustain what they were doing. That's exactly what they did, with 15-4 actually flattering Pinsents in the end. It could have been a bigger scoreline had it not been for their superb goalkeeper, who will surely be one of the best goalkeepers Higgs come up against this season. If water covers 70% of the Earth's surface, this guy covers the other 30%.

The goals were spread throughout the team with goals for Rich, Luke, Cole, Joe, Pat and one for Ben with the very last kick of the game. Special mention should go to Pat as this was the first goal of his BTSS career. Here's hoping it is the first of many.

Blog post written by Ben James 

printer friendlyPrinter friendly